Re: HPT366 controller problem

2006. május 27. 21:33,
"Tomy Alarie" <tomyalarie@gmail.com>
-> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> Hi, i'm trying to install Debian 3.1r2 on my computer for days. After
> couple of days, i wondered that the problem was the HPT366 Controller on my
> ASUS BE6 motherboard. I don't know which kernel am I better use during the
> install ? linux26 or linux ? I don't know too if this is the real problem,
> I think so cause, the installation always halts when the disks are
> formatting ... Can somebody helps me please ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tomy
Hi Tomy!

I have an Abit BE7-RAID mb with a HPT372 chip. I can use this with the hpt366
named module. This module supports the HighPoint 36X and 37X chipset series.
Although, I've never installed debian to a disk attached to the hpt
controller, as far as I can tell you, if you've loaded that module, you can
access your disks through one of the /dev/hd* devices. Browse through
you /proc/ide/ directory, and search for you disk attached to the raid
controller. If you can find it, than you can use it too. This could be done
with the debian installer, if you choose to get a shell (there is a menu
entry somewhere in the character based installer, but I can not tell anything
about the graphical installer because I know nothing about it).

I think you can safely go with linux26, but I don't quite understand what do
you mean under "installation halts". Halts how? Freezes, or gives you an
error message? If you can create a partition on the disk, and can start
installing (copy files etc...), then the module and your HighPoint controller
is working correctly.

HTH,

Daniel

--