arts/ALSA problem after unstable upgrade

After the regualar apt-get update and upgrade
yesterday, the aRts sound server crashes on KDE
startup. On my machine I am using ALSA as the main
sound interface. If I "Enable the Sound System" from
Control Center > Sound &Multimedia > Sound System with
audio device (in Hardware tab) to Autodetect or ALSA,
then, it keeps on "starting sound system" in an
infinite loop. And the KDE crash handler pops up with
"The application soundserver (artsd) crashed and
caused the signal 11 (SISEGV)."

The backtrace shows:
"This backtrace appears to be of no use.
This is probably because your packages are built in a
way which prevents creation of proper backtraces, or
the stack frame was seriously corrupted in the crash."

The disturbing part is that, if I Cancel this
"starting sound system" message/dialog box, crash
handler box pops up again, AND KEEPS POPING UP in a
new box unless I logout from KDE!!! Its a junk!

Using testing/unstable on i386 machine. I was not able
to find any bugs like this on bugs.debian.org.

--kruton