Re: Installation

N A wrote:
Is it possible to install Debian as a dual-boot on an Intel Celeron system using only the existing windows partition and a removable hard drive ~250MiB? If so, how would one do so?

Unfortunately: NO.

from the installation manual:
http://www.de.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs03.html.en

"The base installation for i386 using the default 2.4 kernel, including all standard packages, requires 573MB of disk space."

It might be possible to deselect some standard packages to reduce that size, but that is definitely not recommended for first time Linux users.

I also wouldn't recommend an removable hard drive as a medium to install linux to. In principle it is possible to install debian to an external usb-disk (and I have managed to do it), but I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it for a first time linux user.

To have a 'full' installation usable for newbees, ie. one including a graphical desktop environment, one requires about 2GB of disk space. If you want to use kde and try some extra packages, 5GB is even better. I would guess that such an installation contains more applications and more features than a 'comparable' WinXP installation that requires about 5 times that size. (My 'minimal' Xp installation (office, cd-burner, adobe reader, mozilla, little else) consumes about 9GB and has orders of magnitude less usability than my plentyful 5GB of debian).

If you would like to just have a look at linux, try one of the distributions that boot of a cd without requireing an installation. I would recommend knoppix (www.knopper.net).

If you definitely want to install it to your computer, you would want to give it some disk space on your hard disk. If you have some free disk space on your windows partitions, it is quite straightforeward to resize one of those and create the required space for debian during installation.

Before you should backup all your data, but that should be done regardless of your decision to install linux or not -- just in case...

Johannes