Paste with translation table into gnome-terminal?

As I posted to this list a while back, I have had to abandon xterm in favor
of gnome-terminal because some aspect of the xorg upgrade made the xterm
font unchangeable.

One annoyance is that I can't post from a GUI app into gnome-terminal if any
character in the selection is non-ASCII (for instance, an em dash or "real"
apostrophe).  Is there any way to force gnome-terminal to convert, say, em
dash into two hyphens and real apostrophes into '?

BTW, a basic principle of user interface design is that nothing should ever
fail silently.  When I try to paste into gnome-terminal with a non-allowed
character, it fails silenty, which is simply wrong.
--
Carl Fink                                   carl@finknetwork.com
   "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your