Re: How to restart the X server under Debian?

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 01:14:52AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:

> >  I need to restart the X server (XFree86 4.3.0) under Debian Sarge with a
> >  script or program.
> >  On other Linux systems, I now that I can use "init 3" to terminate the X
> >  server and then use "startx" to start it again, but on my Debian system this
> >  does not work.
>
> Other distros define a non-X runlevel in /etc/inittab.  Debian, being
> cautious and not wishing to fluster newbies doesn't, assuming if you
> want that, you know what to do to get it: vi /etc/inittab
>
> >  Additionally I have no runlevel 5. On other Linux systems, this runlevel is
> >  used for a graphical X environment, but on Debian it simply does not exist.
> >  Is there a way to add this, because I want to autostart the X server after
> >  login.

I have winged about this before, but decided that it was easier just to
fix it on my system that try to convert everyone else.

It is just a matter of reading the manpages and changing the default
values to something more familiar (and IMHO more useful).

Perhaps there should be a FAQ somewhere that explains the procedure
for converting to a more traditional runlevel structure if it is too
hard to get concensus for a change to the defaults on Debian. Or
maybe there already is?

> If you're running GDM, KDM, XDM, ...  just hit <CTRL><ALT><BackSpace>
> and X will restart.  If not, then do the same then type startx.

A better way to restart your GDM/KDM/XDM  - expecially as it was stated
that it needs to be done in a 'script or program', is to run
	/etc/init.d/xdm restart
replacing 'xdm' with kdm or gdm as appropriate.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com