Re: How to restart the X server under Debian?

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:16:46PM +0200, Colin Finck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to restart the X server (XFree86 4.3.0) under Debian Sarge with a
> script or program.
> On other Linux systems, I now that I can use "init 3" to terminate the X
> server and then use "startx" to start it again, but on my Debian system this
> does not work.

If you are running an X session that you started with "startx" then
just killing the last process in the x session should kick you back to
the console, but it depends on what's in your various X configuration
files. If you're using [x|k|g|etc]dm usually there is a menu option to
exit. Alternatively you can switch to a console and issue
"/etc/init.d/[x|k|g|etc]dm stop" and then use "... start" to restart
the session.

> Additionally I have no runlevel 5. On other Linux systems, this runlevel is
> used for a graphical X environment, but on Debian it simply does not exist.
> Is there a way to add this, because I want to autostart the X server after
> login.

debian uses runlevel 2 for multi-user graphical operation. The other
runlevels 3-5 usually match runlevel 2. They should all exist and
should all be the same as 2.