Re: How to restart the X server under Debian?

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:16:46PM +0200, Colin Finck wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I need to restart the X server (XFree86 4.3.0) under Debian Sarge with
>a script or program.
>On other Linux systems, I now that I can use "init 3" to terminate the
>X server and then use "startx" to start it again, but on my Debian
>system this does not work.
>
>Additionally I have no runlevel 5. On other Linux systems, this
>runlevel is used for a graphical X environment, but on Debian it simply
>does not exist.  Is there a way to add this, because I want to
>autostart the X server after login.
>
>Many thanks in advance,

Debian doesn't have a separate runlevel for X as many other distros do.
It uses 2 for it as well.

If you install {G,K,X}DM it'll be started by default when you boot the
system. (You can control them all through scripts in /etc/init.d/.)

If you want to automatically log in as well then I think GDM is capable
of doing that. I can't speak for KDM or XDM in this regard.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

This is a company that looks the world's roughest, toughest anti-trust
regulators in the eye and laughs. Compared to anti-trust people,
copyright lawmakers are pantywaists. You can take them with your arm
behind your back.
     -- Cory Doctorow, Microsoft Research DRM talk