Re: Which is the most stable of Debian releases?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> It's well-known that Debian releases are rock-solid. But I've been
> wondering if there's been a comparison between various releases as
> regards stability. It would be nice if there's some commentary from
> long-time Debian users (say those who experienced it pre-Woody), and
> another way is by judging by the number security fixes to a particular
> release. Any stats out there?

There is *no* value in considering the number of advisories unless you
also account for things like follow-ups to the same advisory, severity,
whether the exploit was seen in the wild, how long it took to create a
fix, etc.  Some of those factors are more under the control of the
upstream developers than the Debian maintainers.  So, I would say that
it would be exceedingly difficult to make a quantitative analysis.

> By the way is there a distro out there considered as stable as
> Debian's Stable. This is not a question of which is a better distro
> (too many variables involved there), but just a question of, "which
> distro breaks less?"

Again, that is not really a fair or accurate question.  I would assert
that distros specifically targeted at certain segments of the market
would do better in that respect.  If you have a distro that is targeted
at firewall applications, it won't be affected by things like the
problems that occur with X, Gnome, and KDE.  OTOH, anything target at
the desktop/workstation market would include a great many more packages
and probably have more security issues.  Even those statements are very
broad and I'm sure you could find exceptions.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto