A bizarre problem in the boot scripts

Hi,

I have a problem with a Dell poweredge 1800. My box has the Sata Raid
controller from Dell and the linux support is on the recent kernels >2.6.10
and >2.4.27, I think ...at least, the sarge cd inst doesn't recognize the
controller and the hds.

I installed a Sarge and configured the raid system and put a 2.6.12 from
testing (some months ago). More or less, all was working like a charm during
this weeks. Howeber, I had big electrify cut and the server was poweroff
suddenly.

My problems began then. Although I did all the fsck tests and no problem, the
system when reboots stop in some point of the initscripts, after mount all
the partitions without any error. After many tests and no success and
installed a installed a 2.6.16 from backports but nothing was solved. I'm
really desperately because I really don't know how to solve this issue.

The only way that I have to boot is to boot from a cd, comment the /usr
partition on the fstab, reboot the box, then an error on the rcS scripts
occurs, but continues. Log in to the box, mount the /usr partition, an do a
rc 2, and then all is ok.

I'm not a senior in the system administration but I understand that the boot
procedure begins to execute all the scripts (in alphabetically order SXX) on
the /etc/rcS.d/ directory and after, depending on the inittab mode, goes to
the /etc/rcX.d/ directory and executes the rest of the scripts. Is this
correct this explication?

Otherwise, I would like to ask how I can know what is happens? I have modified
almost all the boot scripts putting flags saying echo "I' doing this .." and
my box is hanged in the bootmisc.sh script. There's a deadlock in this point,
in the bootclean mountall but I don't understand what is happens. I don't
know if is about the udev of the > 2.6.12 kernels and the mountvirtfs, or
what. I really have NO idea. Please, could someone tell me at least how can I
try to find the dammed problem?

Thank's in advance,

Leo

Pd please, CC to me, I'm not in this list :-(

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia