Re: Re: Gnome panel already running - error message

The solution for the problem you have:

When running, the Panel, ESD and other GNOME apps leave a state-info file in /tmp. You have to clean the /tmp files before you start the GNOME session, else GNOME 'thinks' some components are still active. You can do it this way:

1. Create a /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10session-clean-startup file (the format digitdigitletterother, the name I use is chosed at random) having the contents:

.  /etc/init.d/bootclean.sh

[ -d /tmp ] && cleantmp

This works on Ubuntu Dapper, but on 5.10 too, I think. The script /etc/init.d/bootclean.sh is sourced and the function cleantmp used.

2. Restart session.