Re: aptitude: all dependent packages

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 10:00:32AM -0400, rs wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there a way, preferably using command line interface, to find all
>packages that this package depends on AND all packages that depend on
>this package.
>
>Example:
>
>PackageA
>|
>|--PackageB   <== show all dependent packages
>   |--PackageB-1
>   |--PackageB-2
>

>So, PackageB depends on PackageB-1 and PackageB-2 AND PackageA depends
>on PackageB.
>
># aptitude show PackageB
>I believe aptitude CLI will not show that PackageA depends on PackageB.

All installed packages that depend on 'gamin':

 # aptitude search '~i~Dgamin'

All installed packages that 'gamin' depends on:

 # aptitude search '~i~Rgamin'

I'd recommend installing aptitude-doc and read teh documentation on
Search Patterns.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Beauty is more important in computing than anywhere else in technology
because software is so complicated. Beauty is the ultimate defence
against complexity.
     -- David Gelernter