Re: Wireless Network Cards

Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:13:02PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

[snipped...]

>> Your biggest problem will be to find out what chipset a specific card
>> you are holding in your hands has. But every project I mentioned
>> maintains some sort of compatiblity list.
>
> Yes, that is a BIG problem. Especially since quite a few manufacturers
> are in the habit of switching the chipset without disclosing that
> anywhere on the boxes :-( When I was shoping around I ended up buying
> from an online store that offered Linux compatible HW. It ended up being
> about £5 more (including shipping) but it was worth not having to worry
> about compatibility.
>
> The RT cards are also well supported in Linux, the package is called
> rt2500-source and the module can be built with module-assistant.

I don't know what chipset is uses, but I bought a Linksys WMP54G card.
One of the reviews said they'd got it running under Kubuntu via native
support. I'm assuming I'll still need to install this wireless-tools
package. Does anyone now what other kind of config I'll need to do, or
will Debian just pick it up like any other network card...?

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com                   http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,