Re: How do I use the linux-headers with the linux-source?

Marco wrote:
Hi everybody!
I have installed Debian Etch on my laptop.
I have installed the "linux-source-2.6.15" package,
and I have exctracted it with the command:
# tar -jxf /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2

I have also installed the "linux-headers-2.6.15-686"
and the "linux-headers-2.6.15-1" packages (that should
be the linux-headers for my system (Intel Pentium M)).

What must I do to compile my kernel with the linux-headers?

Nothing special; the linux-source-2.6.15 already contains the linux kernel headers. The linux-headers-2.6.15 is only to provide the headers to systems which have the kernelsource not available. If you build software which includes kernel header files on such a system, you do not want to install the complete kernel source but only the headers, that's what this package is for AFAIK.

I also have to apply some patches to my kernel.
Do I have to apply these patches to linux-source or
linux-headers?

You have to patch the linux-source-2.6.15 package.

	-- Kilian