Re: install-mbr on amd64?

Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:57:44AM +0200, Kilian wrote:
Dear All,

I'm trying to set up a software RAID with Debian on a system with an AMD x86_64 Athlon processor. To install the MBR, I need install-mbr if I'm correct, but this package does not exist in the amd64 port... I then tried to compile it myself, which fails, obviously, because the package has not been ported to x86_64 yet as it seems (and I lack the knowledge to do so...).

I'm a bit stuck now.. what other tools can I use?

I don't know about the amd64 machines specifically, but I think on most
machines grub or lilo can/will ask to install themselves in the MBR.
You can do it manually with 'grub-install hd0' (ISTR that working for
both SATA and IDE, but don't take my word for it--I don't have an SATA
drive to test it with) or some invocation of 'lilo' (don't remember the
specifics of that one).  Make sure to install grub or lilo to the MBR of
both drives in case one fails (I assume that's why you're creating the
RAID in the first place) and configure it to use root=/dev/md[whatever]
as a kernel option.

OK, I'll give that a try.

FWIW, I can't find a package 'install-mbr' for the x86 architecture
either.

Sorry, the package is called 'mbr' and the commmand from it is 'install-mbr'. See <http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/mbr>

Thanks!

	-- Kilian