Re: aptitude dist-upgrade wants to install 695 new packages

John O'Hagan wrote:
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 14:59, rs wrote:

[...]
I'd like to upgrade from stable (sarge) to testing. Tried "aptitude
upgrade" and it came back with 109 packages kept back.
[...]
Obviously, I want kept back packages to be upgraded too (BTW, is there a
way to find out why, specifically, those packages are kept back?). So, I
tried "aptitude dist-upgrade" and it wants to install 695 new packages,
including the ones I do not currently have or want (e.g evolution, gnome (I
use KDE), exim, etc).
[...]
Am I missing something? How do I upgrade only the packages that I currently
have, without installing an obscene amount of new and unneeded/unwanted
packages?

This is from man aptitude:

"upgrade

"Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version. Installed  packages
will not be removed unless they are unused...; packages which are not currently installed will not be installed...

"dist-upgrade

"Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version, removing or installing packages as necessary..."

In other words, upgrade will hold back any package whose new version has new dependencies or requires the removal of any package. Dist-upgrade will install any new dependencies and remove any newly conflicting packages (it automatically decides which packages must go when there is a conflict, or you can control this by marking packages in various ways). So I'm afraid what you're asking is not possible: the packages you have installed must have their new dependencies if they are to be upgraded. And a major change like the one from stable to testing will usually bring in a lot of new dependencies.

It does seem odd that gnome is to be installed; do you mean the whole of gnome, desktop environment and all? It must be that something you have installed now needs at least parts of gnome.

To examine the situation in more detail, try running aptitude with --show-deps.

I use Kpackage (a front-end for apt-get, so don't mix it with aptitude for actually installing packages) because it's easy to browse package descriptions and dependencies, and manually select multiple packages for installation and removal.

I run testing and keep up-to-date by running update; upgrade; if any packages are kept back I mark them for upgrade and carefully check what will be changed, and only proceed if none of that bothers me (e.g., no packages I want to use are to be removed).
Good luck,

John

Like John I use Kpackage, but when i have looked at aptitude it is originally setup to automatically install *recomended* packages by default. You can switch this off in the UI, so i imageine it can be configured via the CLI as well. Try the 'man' page or fire up the UI and C-T->Options->Dependency Handling->Automatically install recommends.

HTH

Wackojacko