Re: emacs broken - displays empty rectangles in place of all characters

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 01:52:20 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> In the Great Book it has Been Written that on Wed, 17 May 2006 01:50:36
> -0400 Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> didst appear within
> my Magick Viewing Screen and, being somewhat pleasantly supplicatory,
> did polemicize thusly:
>
> > Hi Adam,
> > you may have an error that I found. Are you using an UTF-8 locale? if
> > so, do this:
> > 'LC_ALL=en_US emacs'
> > and see if that fixes it.
> > Cheers,
> > Kev
>
> Thanks!  That (in particular, <LC_ALL=en_US mc>, that is, not emacs)
> fixed my font problem with midnight commander.  Now if only I could get
> it to hold that configuration...

If you do "dpkg-reconfigure locales" you can set "en_US" as the system-
wide default. You can also put "LC_ALL=en_US" into /etc/environment
yourself.  Each individual user can put their settings into his/her
.bashrc or .bash_aliases ("export LC_ALL=en_US"). The graphical
environments all handle it slightly differently; in KDE, for example,
you can put an executable script into the ~/.kde/env directory to set
the defaults for all applications which you don't start from a terminal
window.

--
Regards,
          Florian