Re: Windows is the better OS for running a FTP server

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 09:06:21PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 20:52:10 +0200, Dirk wrote:
> > "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"
> >
> > proftpd, wu-ftpd, (netkit) ftpd ... they all suck ass!
> >
> > (Yeah, I'm ultimately pissed after reading too many sloppy howto's)
> >

> > Dirk
>
> If a head and a book collide, and it sounds hollow, this is not
> necessarily the book's fault. - Lichtenberg
>
> --
> Regards,
>           Florian
>
> P.S. You most likely have a configuration problem with a firewall or
>      with (x)inetd. Many people on this list know how to fix such
>      things, but few are inclined to help rude trolls.

Damn, here we were trying to fan the flames on a smoldering banana
peel while this guy is over here with a blowtorch and a can of
gasoline (petrol).

Dirk,

are there any logs pertinent to the ftp server? if not, you might want
to turn them on. turn up the logging/verbosity on your ftp
client. plus review EVERYTHING you did to your sytem in the last few
days. And don't give us a bunch of crap about how windows is a better
ftp server. go out and see how many public ftp sites are run on *nix
varieties with no trouble for years on end.

"Now we got some heat around here." -- me