Re: CDROM drives stopped working after move to unstable

Thanks for the pointers, they were really helpful.

I have IDE CDROM drives, and had moved from Sarge.

I followed your suggestion and purged hotplug.  I then tried to
install udev.  My kernel wasn't new enough.  So I upgraded my kernel
to 2.6.16.16, and successfully installed udev.

Then, only one of my drives was showing up.  I found a bug entitled
"Udev rules don't handle multiple CDROM devices correctly" [1] and saw
that this behaviour was fixed as of version 090, so I downloaded a
newer udev package (091) and installed it with dpkg.  Voila, two CDROM
drives: /dev/cdrw and /dev/dvd, which both map to hdc, and /dev/cdrom,
which maps to hdd.

udev is really neat, I like it a lot.  De-bloating /dev/ is a huge boon.

Thanks again.

Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

[1] http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1640

On 5/14/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 20:38:08 -0700, Joshua McGee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Both my CDROM drives stopped working up after moving to unstable.  The
> second one (/dev/cdrom1) stopped showing up entirely.

Did you go to unstable from stable (Sarge) or testing (Etch)? The reason
I am asking this is that I want to make sure that you have purged
hotplug if that was necessary. If you post the output of

dpkg -l udev\* hotplug\*

we can check that easily.

> www:~# ls /dev/cd*
> /dev/cdrom  /dev/cdu535

The thing to keep in mind is that /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 are only
symlinks to the real device nodes. If you use an IDE controller the real
devices will be /dev/hdX (where "X" is a lowercase letter) or /dev/sdX
if you use SCSI. If you run "lspci" you can check for a line which says
"IDE" or "SCSI". Post this information here so that we know which
controller you are using. You can also use "file /dev/cdrom" to find out
where this symlink is pointing. If you think you have found the real
device node you can use "cdrom_id" to check if udev recognizes its
capabilities correctly. Let me illustrate this with my own computer
(which has one IDE cdrom):

$ file /dev/cdrom
/dev/cdrom: symbolic link to `hdc'

$ ls -l /dev/hd*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 0 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 1 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 2 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 5 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hda5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 6 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hda6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 7 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hda7
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   3, 8 2006-04-29 20:22 /dev/hda8
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 2006-04-29 22:22 /dev/hdc

(hda is my hard disk which has 6 partitions and hdc is my cdrom)

$ /lib/udev/cdrom_id /dev/hdc
ID_CDROM=1
ID_CDROM_CD_R=1
ID_CDROM_CD_RW=1

> (With an audio CD)
> www:~# abcde
> cd-discid: /dev/cdrom: CDROMREADTOCHDR: Input/output error
> [ERROR] abcde: CD could not be read. Perhaps there's no CD in the drive?
>
> (With a CDROM)
> www:~# mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> Am I missing something obvious?

It is probably a problem with udev which is responsible for creating the
device nodes and symlinks. If you post the output of the commands that I
mentioned above we will know more.

--
Regards,
          Florian