Promise FastTrak S150 SX4 & Sarge compatibility

Hi All,

I'm checking component compatibility of a second hand server I'd like to buy. I've found some issues though on several forums concerning the Promise FastTrak S150 SX4 RAID card. In some older posts I found issues with kernel 2.4 and 2.6. where the kernel's driver only sees the RAID set as separate disks, not as one logical volume.

Does anyone have recent experience with this card in combination with Sarge? If Sarge doesn't support the card by default, does anyone have found reliable solutions?

There are drivers for Suse 9.1 and Red Hat 8/9 and source code on the Promise site. Does anyone have experience using any of those? Since I've got no experience with either RAID or compiling, I'd welcome it if someone would like to share his experiences with the Promise sourcecode.

Any pointers to good recent info welcome.

TIA

Peter