Re: Debian router and MSN

Mitja Podreka wrote:

> I've setup a server to act as a router for my home network. It is
> working well, the only problem I have is when I boot Windows to do some
> video chat over MSN messenger.

Maybe this could be a problem:
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/expert/bowman_december24.mspx)

---
When it comes to media streams for voice and video, SIP has the same
problems behind a NAT box since voice and video are transmitted using
the UDP protocol, not TCP. The port number of the end point PC will be
wrong in the SIP headers due to the NAT. To fix this problem, Microsoft
has implemented the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) protocols in Windows
XP, but that will only work if the NAT device also implements the UPnP
protocol. (Without this support, voice and video using Windows Messenger
will not work reliably behind a NAT device).
---

I remember looking at this a few years ago with M$ NetMeeting and the
only solution seems to have been to use 'gateway' software on the NAT
router (something to do with NetMeeting selecting ports at random.)
Things may have changed since, though, so YMMV and all that.

HTH,

--
George Borisov

DXSolutions Ltd