how to prevent pppd from starting at boot time

My machine, runngin Debian Etch, was previously connected to the
internet through an ADSL modem. Now I have an older computer which
connects that way and I use a switch to connect to that computer (the
computer works as a router).

In my machine, how do I prevent pppd from starting at boot time and
looking for a pppoe dsl connection? The machine is running 2.6.15 kernel.

Either an option to make it not start up at boot would be okay or if I
can know which package is responsible for that service, I could remove
that package.

thanks,
->HS