cleaning up lib*-dev packages?

I use deborphan to get rid of unneeded packages on my system.  But I
have various lib*-dev packages installed to satisfy the
build-dependencies of a few packages that I build from source.
Deborphan reports these as orphaned, but I still need them.

Is there a way to tell deborphan to follow the build-dependencies of a
set of source packages?  I know about deborphan's keep file, but
that's too tedious to keep up-to-date by hand.  Is there another tool
I should be using?

Thanks. (Please CC me on replies since I'm not subscribed.)