Re: /var/lib/dpkg/status shows on installed packages

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 16:28 -0400, Len Berman wrote:
> I just installed sarge on a new machine and NO packages in status are
> listed as not-installed.  I'm using synaptic and it knows that there are
> packages which are not installed.  (I discovered this using and old
> script I had written which used dpkg-awk to find documentation packages
> that are not installed.)
>
> When I look at packages in dselect they all seem to be labelled 'n'.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to get this information corrected.

You don't need to get that information in status.

I've had my Debian machine I am using for about 8 years. That is ti say,
the same initial build. I've gone through many pieces of hardware in
that time.

I have 1159 packages that I have at one time installed and then as a
part of clean-up or upgrades or package supersedes have uninstalled.

The default status of a package if never having been installed is "n"

So just because it isn't in /var/lib/dpkg/status or status-old, doesn't
mean you are missing the info.

What you really want to do is use apt-cache for your information
gathering.

There are other apt tools available for specifics.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.