Firefox question about pop-up menus; (solved?) and a new annoyance

Going out on a limb here Paul...

I use Debian Sarge 3.1r1 (2.6.8-2-386)
I have NOT yet fired up either Mozilla Browser, nor Firefox on this
installation
In the past I have used both (and more, on Debain Sarge 3.1r1)

I've had issues (like yours) with Mozilla Browser on win98 (I know),
and as far as I could ever figure it's related to the rendering of "3D
objects". (If your familiar with Microshaft's Desktop | Appearance Tab
settings, you'll know what I mean). On my 98 installs, I'd always
*refuse* to upgrade to anything ...WinUpdates, IE4, etc. IE 5.x and up
added some crap (MS spyware is what I call it). At the same time
though, they implemented some other crap that enabled a IE5.x (and IE6)
'seeming' fix to these horrid display issues (drop-down menus,
backgrounds, shell extensions, etc), that they broke in the first place
with their pseudo-html, web page design crapware, ...and then there are
the dumbasses stupid enough to design web pages using MS's proprietary
crapware...not to mention their proprietary versions of Javacrud
(Javascript, MS JVM).

Onward;
Since you *seem* to be having many issues related to displaying things
correctly, may I suggest you think about either reconfiguring your
display, or perhaps look into that you're loading the correct modules,
correct display screen resolutions, etc ...(For me the 'nv' does just
fine on an old nvidia tnt2 pro 32MB agp video card, on a 440bx
chipset). While there is not 3D renedering using this config (as far as
I can tell). The web pages issues is non-existent using Debian Sarge
3.1r1 (stable) - though as I said, I have *not* yet fired up either
Moz, nor FF, yet. I'm using Konquerer. The whole point is to perhaps
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (or use 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg'), which one to use is usually dependent upon your kernel
version...though I *think* Sarge still uses XFree86 (not Xorg). I think
Etch (testing) and Sid (unstable) use Xorg as default.

You may want to try *Epiphany* which I have used in the past - it's
small, fast, lightweight, and based on Moz/FF (I think you may 'need'
to have one of either Moz/FF installed, to utilize it's Gecko
engine(?)). In Epiphany; there are less configuration options through
Edit | Preferences, but any changes take place in real-time (sweet).
Also - I've used 'about:config' extensively when customizing Moz/FF -
as well as 'userChrome.css', 'userContent.css', User.js, and Prefs.js.
There is lots of info on the net about using these files but I'm not
certain they "all" apply to Linux installs. Using;

~$ locate prefs.js
/etc/mozilla/prefs.js
/usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref/browser-prefs.js
/usr/lib/mozilla/greprefs/security-prefs.js
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/defaults/pref/security-prefs.js
/usr/share/doc/mozilla-browser/examples/prefs.js
/usr/share/epiphany-browser/default-prefs.js

~$ locate userContent-example
/usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/profile/chrome/userContent-example.css
/usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/profile/US/chrome/userContent-example.css

~$ locate userChrome-example
/usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/profile/chrome/userChrome-example.css
/usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/profile/US/chrome/userChrome-example.css

The above '-example' files can be used as a starting point or
template..then by renaming that file (via drop the '-example' it will
be a working customized file, and the original template remains
intact.)

First thing is to use [about:config] by typing that(use no brackets)
into the Location/Address Bar (Browser Tab)...also [about:plugins](use
no brackets) will list the installed plugins.

So perhaps address any possible hardware config issues, then play with
the browser config files (after researching how to implement them,
....naturally).

hth