Re: More X Problems Today

On Thursday 04 May 2006 22:25, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 11:39:29 -0700, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> > >
> > >packages

> > >error

> > >directory

> [...]
>
> > I also faced the same problem. With Ricks soln, I could login.
> > However reinstalling only x11-common didn't help. I then reinstalled
> > kdm also. That also didn't help. I reverted back to Ricks soln.
> > However I would like to know the following so that I can follow your
> > method. 1)how to extract /etc/X11/Xsession manually from the x11-common
> > 2)How to identify the other xorg packages which had been upgraded today
>
> First of all, I have now looked into this a bit more; I also read the
> bug reports which I mentioned in my earlier post in more detail. There
> are two nicer ways to fix this problem:
>
> a) /etc/X11/Xsession.xfree86 is in fact /etc/X11/Xsession from
>    x11-common, it just gets renamed by mistake. Therefore you can just
>    rename it again and the problem should be solved.

My /etc/X11/Xsession.xfree86 is dated October 21, 2001! Locate, updated before
upgrading, finds an Xsession file there so it was renamed. I doubt it is in
use and I have not had the above described login problems. Easy enough to
rename or simply make a copy under the other name. $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm
has its own Xsession as does xdm.

My X problems have been the repeated "customizing" of xorg.conf. At least the
thing backs up the existing one so I simply mv things around. The customized
version has no ModulesPath's so will not work.

I had given up on Sid's KDE while everything was in flux with all those ...c2
libraries and only a portion of the packages around. Maybe for KDE4, I will
out pain but usually easy and effective. There were a couple of missing icons
at first which I found and copied from KDE3.4 before removing this.

I one time compiled my own Xorg. Never recovered from that experience. Went
back to the saved /usr/X11R6. The compiled one did work but was not
compatable with mach64 dri (this could have been fixed). FInally replaced the
card instead of keeping no longer supported packages and xorg versions
around.

Otherwize, Sid has been most solid. Occasionally--very occasionally--something
stops working. Usually fixed quite quickly by the maintainers and oftimes can
be done by myself as well beforehand. I use listbugs to avoid stuff with
already flagged problems.

Another reason I may be