Re: undesired Volume icons on Gnome desktop

Hello,

I've also got this problem, partitions on my hard drive are showing up on my desktop and in the "Computer" nautilus window after a recent etch upgrade. This happens when I am logged in as a normal user.

For reference, my fstab hard drive information is:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda5       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0  1
/dev/hda2       /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda9       /mnt/archive    ext3    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda10      /mnt/lab-backups        ext3    defaults   0    0

The partitions that show up on the desktop are hda9 and hda10, labeled "archive" and "backups", which are their ext2 filesystem labels. A ls -lh of the /mnt directory gives the following permissions:

# ls -lh /mnt
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 5 jbeach  jbeach 4.0K 2006-03-17 16:41 archive
drwxr-xr-x 3 rmtback backup 4.0K 2006-02-23 18:53 lab-backups

The "archive" and "backups" partitions also show up in the "Computer" window, along with partitions labeled "/1" (label for hda8, which is not in fstab), "/boot" (label for hda2), and "/home" (label for hda6).

I'm not sure if this is a new feature which I can adjust to remove the unwanted icons, or if this is a bug. If it is a feature, could someone tell me how to turn it off?

Joe Beach

-------------
Hello List,

after my daily upgrade on my Etch box,
I have two undesired Volume icons (besides my Home icon
and the Computer icon) on my desktop:
I guess that I have to configure something to avoid
their apparence as the `native' volumes do not appaer
in sch a way, but I do not know where to look for.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome

--