nautilus surfaces

I have this problem on bothe sarge and etch.
I use icewm.  I do not use nautilus or KDO or gnome.
Every now and them some program seems to start up nautilus.
It surfaces when I close my windows.
Then the background has changed colour and there are a lot of icons
scattered about the screen apparently at random.
When I log out from the icewm menu, nothing happens -- I get the dialog
box asking me if I really want to log out, and them I am left starting
at the nautilus desktop with icewm control bar at the bottom.
How am I supposed to shut nautilus down so that I can log out (or even
just see my icewm background again?  Presumably KDE would have power
over it if I were running KDE, but I'm not.

-- hendrik