Re: Reproducing my Etch kernel

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:46:27AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:36:07PM +0100, Anton Piatek wrote:
> > Digby Tarvin wrote:
> >
> > >I have searched the web and several books, and all of the instructions
> > >say to obtain the kernel with an 'apt-get install kernel-tree', and I
> > >am sure that 2-3 months ago with Sarge I used
> > >	apt-get install kernel-tree-2.6.8
> > >but on Etch this package does not seem to exit. However I did find that
> > >there is a 'linux-tree-2.6.15'.
> > >

> > When and why did Debian move from kernel-tree/image/source to
> > Linux-tree/image/source?
> >

> I think it was a few months ago, or longer, to allow for the inclusion
> of different kernels. This gives you the option of running Debian
> GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/BSD or Debian GNU/Hurd. not that any of the
> others are ready to got yet. maybe BSD?

That was my guess - and it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to
do..

However it does seem that it should have been documented somewhere fairly
prominently, given that it obsoletes all the previously existing instructions
both printed and online, Ideally it should have appeared in the official
'how to rebuild your Debian kernel' document which I havn't found yet.

After all, rebuilding your Debian kernel for the first time is not really
something you want to have to do by trial and error.

A short document not much longer than my original posting, but written
by someone involved involved in Debian kernel maintenance, would probably
suffice.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com