Re: dvd-9 --> dvd-5 backup with divx/ without wine

> My 3-year-old has recently gotten in the habit of smashing his dvd's
> into our dvd player -- a practice which i am trying to discourage
> without much luck...

I sympathize...

> what solutions do other people use to make a dvd-9 to
> dvd-5 backup?

Try k9copy.  It's a nice GUI designed for exactly this operation.  Uses
vamps to do the heavy work.  For i386 you'll need to put

deb http://repos.knio.it/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://repos.knio.it/ unstable main contrib non-free

into your /etc/apt/sources.list, or for amd64,

deb http://spello.sscnet.ucla.edu/marillat/ unstable main

then apt-get update, apt-get install k9copy.

Good luck!  A.