Re: messed up my X-windows in Etch

Tyler Smith wrote:
> No, that's what I did the first time. I tried /etc/init.d/xdm restart
> both from within X, and when that failed to produce any messages,
> after closing X. It didn't produce any error messages or anything else.
> ** (rox:5499): WARNING **: mkdir(/home/tyler.choice): Permission denied

This is the first thing I'd look at. Why is the system wanting to create
a "tyler.choice" directory in /home?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Have you tried "startx"
instead of xdm? Have you tried a different window manager/environment?
Have you tried a different user? Have you tried as root (normally not
recommended, and here only as a last resort test)?

--
Kent