Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:39, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> was heard to
say:
> In other words, when a nation's individuals do right by one
> another, and look out for one another's welfare above their own,
> there's no need for a bunch of laws. We no longer have that type of
> nation.

Which presents a chicken/egg problem.

People who believe that government interventions have positive effects
see the way to solve this problem being greater regulation. More
laws, more centralized power. To "legislate morality".

People who believe that government intervention causes problems see
the way to solve this being the repeal of those regulations.

Being of the second party, I point out that the reason for such
hostility between people of various political ideologies is the same
reason for the hostility between various gangs fighting over
profitable drug-sales turf: There is such an astounding quantity of
wealth being divided by the winners in Washington that it is much
easier to go and fight for a piece of it (no matter who gets hurt)
than it is to earn wealth with productive work.

It is because there has been such a centralization of power that there
is antagonism and hostility about how it gets divided. If that power
were to be reduced or (Gods willing) eliminated, there would be no
loot for the robbers to squabble over.

About John O'Hagan's list of things as seen from outside the US: It is
interesting to note that without government intervention those items
would be of no importance. There is no one fighting over the fact
that there are thousands of different food stores, yet
the "equitable" distribution of food is of immense importance and
conflict in those countries where the government does that
distribution.

Somalia is an excellent example. Since the US (UN) left, and stopped
trying to impose a powerful central government on the people in that
country, the clans have stopped fighting each other
_for_control_of_that_central_government_! Without the big prize to
fight over, they stopped fighting and got back to the business of
getting along.

His "unwillingness to help those in need without apportioning blame"
is actually absurd on its face. In just one example, the S.E.Asia
tsunami of 2004 saw some $500M donated by the American government.

The dollars donated by private Americans was in the $billions.

Curt-

- --
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history