RE: Machine Hostname

Thanks Roberto, it worked. I have another question, will that affect on another service that were started before setting the hostname?. I believe that my DHCP sends the hostname but I don't know why it is not set when the machine boots.

Thanks.

________________________________

From: Roberto C. Sanchez [mailto:roberto@familiasanchez.net]
Sent: Sun 4/30/2006 1:27 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Machine Hostname

Amir Saad wrote:
> I created a boot image and it works correctly except when setting the hostname, I want it to read the name from the DNS then to use it. How can I do that? I created the image on Debian
>
> Thanks.

I am not sure what you are asking.  Are you obtaining an address from
DHCP?  If so, the DHCP server needs to send the hostname.  As far as I
know, there is no way to get your own hostname out of DNS during boot.
After booting, however, you could have a cron job that does a reverse
lookup on your IP and then sets the hostname accordingly.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto