How to figure out if a package repository index has been updated.

I'm rewriting flosspick.org and learning Ruby on Rails at the same time.

dpkg-ruby doesn't take debtags into account so I need to write my own
stuff. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how one can know whether a Packages.gz file in a repository has changed since you last
downloaded it *without* downloading it again.

Apparently there is a way to do this since two consecutive  runs of
apt-get update will not get all index files afresh.

I skimmed the Debian Package Repository HOWTO but didn't find anything
in there to help me.

alex

--
Alex Polite