Re: how limit the maximum memory allocated to a task?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:59:16PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
>How do I limit the maximum memory allocated to a task. I have tried
>'ulimit -m 100000' on my 512MB system, but the task i'm dealing with
>is, according to 'top', still allocated about 98% of memory, bringing
>the system to its knees.

pam can do it for you, look into /etc/security/limits.conf. IIRC
processes owned by root can't be limited.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Here's the social reason that DRM fails: keeping an honest user honest
is like keeping a tall user tall.
     -- Cory Doctorow, Microsoft Research DRM talk