Re: Installing 2.6.16 kernel on stable

Carl D. Blake wrote:
We're currently running stable on a system, but we discovered that some
devices (e.g. sound) aren't recognized with the 2.6.8 kernel.  I think
these problems would be solved if we could install the 2.6.16 kernel in
unstable.  Is there a simple way to install 2.6.16 without upgrading a
whole bunch of other packages?

Thanks for any help.

I am running stable right now.

I download 2.6.16 from kernel.org and 2.6.16-ck8 from here:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

and use make-kpkg to generate the kernel_image .deb and just install the .deb.

It gets you the latest stable kernel and a superfast scheduling algorithm. Works like a charm on my Debian two-seater.

Need to get no other packages at all.