Re: daylight savings error on reboot

Hi Folks,

On 4/27/06, Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> wrote:
> Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > I'm having a wierd phebomenon.  Every time I reboot, the clock gets
> > set back an additional hour, as though my ocmputer were adjusting for
> > daylight savings time again.  I've noticed this ever the latest time
> > change, though I had thought it was an error due to suspend2's
> > hibernate/resume funciton.  Now I notice that it happens on normal
> > reboot as well.  Any ideas how to diagnose & fix this problem?
>
> Do you have Windows installed on the same computer as well?  If not
> you should set your hardware clock to UTC.
>
> If the clock is set to local time how is it determined whether the
> daylight savings status has changed since last shutdown?

sorry to be so imprecise, and I'm afraid I still have some uncertainties.

I believe my system clock is set to UTC, and I don't have any other OS
operating on the system.

I check the time using "date" or "date -u", also with the xfce clock applet.

I use ntpdate (sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org) to update the clock; usually
this is done on a cron job, but lately I've been updating by hand
because of this problem.  when run, ntpdate resets everything to
normal, so the problem only lasts from bootup to the first running of
ntpdate.

I've checked in /var/log/messges and /var/log/syslog, andthe only
references to "clock " arethe following in syslog:

Apr 11 22:12:09 anarres kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Apr 20 07:17:36 anarres postfix/cleanup[1599]: warning: file system
clock is 3568 seconds ahead of local clock
Apr 21 07:00:03 anarres postfix/qmgr[9884]: warning: backward time
jump detected -- slewing clock
Apr 25 17:20:48 anarres kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Apr 26 06:00:08 anarres postfix/qmgr[9916]: warning: backward time
jump detected -- slewing clock
Apr 26 06:46:16 anarres kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.12

These don't seem to me to give much help, escept for the lone postfix
message "file system clock is ahead of local clock".  I'm not exactly
sure what that means though, any pointers?

Thanks,

Matt