Question about apt-pinning

Hi,

I've a little question about apt-pinning.

I'm running debian testing and when running 'apt-get dist-upgrade' apt
tells me that it wants to remove packet 'xmaxima'. This is quite
logical, since currently xmaxima is out of the testing. To prevent
this I wrote in /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: xmaxima
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: 1200

Still when running 'apt-get dist-upgrade' apt tells me that it wants
to remove xmaxima. Then I thought: maybe it's because apt can't find
xmaxima-packet at all. And after some consideration I wrote a new
apt_preferences file and made necessary changes to sources.list.
/etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 100

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1

Package: xmaxima
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: 1200

Still when running 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' I get that
apt wants to remove xmaxima though it's surely present in both stable
and unstable distribution.

Question: Am I doing something wrong? APT HOWTO section 3.10 states
that if packet has a priority >1000 it should _never_ be replaced by
apt. Is there any way to force apt not to remove packet when doing
dist-upgrade?

P.S. Of course it's possible to run 'apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get
install xmaxima/unstable', but wasn't the whole idea behind
apt-pinning to avoid this kind of mess?