Canon Ixus 55 on GNU/Linux?

Recently I tried to attach a friend's Canon Ixus 55 to my Debian box
to copy some photos from it (I don't have a card reader for that type
of memory card).  The /dev/sda1 flatly refused to show up, although I
had no trouble using my Olympus camera later the same day.  (I've
listed below the packages that I think are relevant.)

Has anyone else been able to get one of these to work?

Thanks,
Adam

ii  hal                                     0.5.7-1
ii  libhal-storage1                         0.5.7-1
ii  libhal1                                 0.5.7-1
ii  pmount                                  0.9.9-2