Re: Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, xorg no output on external VGA (projector), running Etch.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:27:55PM +0200, Søren Christensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:37:51AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > Søren Christensen wrote:
> > > I've upgraded to Etch and Xorg on my laptop.
> > >
> > > How do I configure xorg to output on external VGA. There is no X on
> > > projector, only tty, that is, I can follow booting on the projector, but
> > > when gdm starts output dissappears.
> > >
> > > How can I configure the s-video output? I would like to show video from
> > > DVD and from mpeg-streams.
> > >
> > > Severino
> > >

> > I've never used s-video out, so I may just be generating noise. But on
> > my Dell laptop, in order to get output from a projector plugged into the
> > external VGA connector, I have to hit the key combo on the keyboard that
> > switches output from the built-in LCD to the external connector. It's
> > something like Fn-F2. This appears to me to be more controlled by the
> > laptop's BIOS than by Debian/X. (I can't get a mirrored setup though;
> > it's either internal or external, never both. Bummer.)
> >

> I still haven't found an answer. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not
> find the external VGA, even when I turn on the projector when running
> dpkg-reconfigure. I compared the conf-files from XFree86 and xorg, but
> there where no differences. But with Sarge and Xfree86 the external VGA
> mirroed the built in LCD -- now with Etch and xorg there is no output on
> the external VGA. In both Sarge and Etch I was using gdm.
>
> Does gdm control the output to the external VGA?

I doubt it. I think that most laptops set-up the video with two
functions on the device. look at lspci -v of your video card, you'll
likely see two listings along the lines of

0000:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller:...

and

0000:02:00.1 VGA compatible controller:...

one of these is the laptop screen and one is the external output. you
need to point your xorg.conf to the appropriate one. You can set this
when you dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. THere is a question about
entering the bus:device.function of the video device. If you actually
specify the address then it will put that address into the
xrog.conf. You should be able to find it in there. Set up two
xorg.conf's: xorg.conf.laptop and xorg.conf.projector, for
example. Then make xorg.conf a symlink that points to one or the
other, depending on which you want to use. You will have to restart X
to get it to select the one you want, but it should work.

Finally, you may be able to set up a dual-head display, if your laptop
allows it, but that is beyond my experience.

hth