Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian SSH server configuration]

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:15:44PM +0200, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >When it asks you for a passphrase, hit <Enter> twice - you have a null
> >passphrase (which is fractionally less secure but that's probably OK.)
>
> Not so much "fractionally less secure" as "insecure". If the machine
> containing the private key is compromised so, potentially, is every
> machine that the public key has been distributed too.

I gather that that's insecure, how is using 'ssh-add'?  Does it cache
the passphrase only for the X session or for every login?  And even if
it's the first, is that even marginally secure?

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Sorry never means having your say to love.