Older Mozilla not supported anymore (was: Re: Sunset Announcement for Fx/Tb 1.0.x and Mozilla Suite 1.7.x -- what does it mean to sarge?)

On Apr 26 2006, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> mozilla developer center announced 'sunset' for mozilla 1.7.x and
> Firefox 1.0.x etc. ie. these won't be supported by mozilla any more.

Thank you very much for this information, Johannes.

> What does this mean for mozilla, firefox and thunderbird in *sarge*?
> Assuming there are vulnerablities discovered, will sarge (silently) move
> to Firefox 1.5.x etc or will all problems be backported?

This whole mozilla thing is turning to be a nightmare, with zillions
projects (side-projects?).

Anyway, I am not able to perform everything with Firefox 1.5 that I
could with Firefox 1.0 (I'm using testing).

One of these things is the ability to generate postscript files with
Times/Helvetica/Courier only.  Firefox 1.0 did this by default.  I would
appreciate if anybody could help here. Trying to set the "hidden"
preference that the fonts shouldn't be downloaded don't work. I don't
know why.

And, if I understand it correctly, Firefox 1.5 is already with its days
counted, as it seems that the "trend now" is to use the base for
applications called xulrunner (already packaged in Debian and present in
testing the last time I checked).

> I just guess it'll be rather hard to backport any security issues to
> sarge, when the upstream version doesn't exist any more.

Yes, this is a similar problem to the one faced by people using
proprietary software, when the support for the version you use is
dropped.

Backporting fixes will be an herculean task, indeed.

Regards, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/