Re: What is the status of Xorg 7.0?

Jan Brons wrote:
> I am wondering if the Xorg 7.0 update problems are solved. I am using
> Sid AMD64 and just want to do a apt-update but are mainly waiting for
> most of the Xorg problems are solved. If I do an update I see for
> example that xserver-common 6.9  xfree86-common and xprint are going
> to be removed. Can't find this to be an safe option! I am no Xorg
> expert, so can anyone give me a clue?

I have just aptitude dist-upgraded a few day ago and all is working fine.

miguel@debian:~$ dpkg -l|grep xorg
ii  libglu1-xorg                  7.0.14
transitional package for Debian etch
ii  xorg                          7.0.14                         X.Org X
Window System
ii  xserver-xorg                  7.0.14                         the
X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core             1.0.2-5                        X.Org X
server -- core server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-all        7.0.14                         the
X.Org X server -- input driver metapacka
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev      1.0.0.5-2                      X.Org X
server -- evdev input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-kbd        1.0.1.3-2                      X.Org X
server -- keyboard input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse      1.0.4-2                        X.Org X
server -- mouse input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics  0.14.4-4
Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org/XFree86

You should do the following:
# aptitude update
# aptitude -d upgrade
(this is for just downloading the .debs)
then, when all is downloaded, logout your graphical desktop (no reboot
nor shutdown), change to a VT, CTRL + ALT + F1 for example, and execute
as root
# /etc/init/gdm stop
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup.6.9
# aptitude upgrade
(this will begin the instalation of new .debs)

if X11 doesnt start try
#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

remember to check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors (lines beginning with (EE))
you can start X alone (without a desktop manager) as normal user with

$ X

if you can see a black and white pattern and a cursor, all is ok.

When all is ok, you can start your desktop manager with:

# /etc/init.d/gdm start

Try it!

P.D If you can't start X and need to search the internet for help, use
links, lynx or elinks. They are text-mode web browsers.