Re: partitioning for dual-linux..

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:29:51AM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:15:35PM +1000, Arafangion wrote:
> > Digby Tarvin wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > >This is my initial though on the partitioning of the 60GB drive on my
> > >Debian laptop:
> > >      XP         -10.00GB
> > >      boot       - 0.10GB ??
> > >  sys 1
> > >      root       - 0.15GB
> > >      usr        - 2.00GB
> > >      var        - 2.00GB
> > >  sys 2
> > >      root       - 0.15GB
> > >      usr        - 2.00GB
> > >      var        - 2.00GB
> > >  shared
> > >      swap       - 1.00GB
> > >      tmp - ramfs?
> > >      home       -10.00GB
> > >      home2      -10.00GB
> > >      local      -20.00GB
> > >
> > Three comments I can make so far:
> > 1) Why the two home directories? If you keep your /etc/passwd and
> > /etc/groups in sync, you should not have issues between the two /home's.
> > (Then again, conflicts between multiple versions of gnome or kde, etc,
> > could be an issue - how about a "shared" space, and make /home just a
> > gig each)
>
> Oh no - I wasn't intending separate home directories for the two
> systems. Everything in the region labelled 'shared' is as the name
> implies...
>
> It is just a personal convention that I keep a separate encrypted
> home2 partition for sensitive stuff, which I only mount when needed.

I've pondered this issue a bit. what about this idea, slightly OT to
your original post but ...

place a /home in each root partition (one for each distro) and then
within that home have a mount point for all your "stuff" within ~.
The idea being that each distro could write all its various and
possibly  conflicting ~/.<random config file> in the ~ located in
the root partition, but place all the "neutral" stuff like documents,
project, photos whatever into the other partition with links to it
all.

for example:

in /etc/fstab of each distro:

/dev/hd12 /home/me/my_stuff ext3 etc...

then in each / of each distro:

mkdir /home/me
mkdir /home/me/my_stuff

this way, with two sets of /home/me the crucially incompatible stuff
stays hidden from the other distro.

lots of noise for a simple idea.