Re: Upgrading from Stable to Testing...

Tiago Pedrosa <riftman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:20:08 +0200
> Bob <K1100T@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello list,I've not come across a definitive answer on this one,
> > probably due to not having search enough. Anyway, what's the best way
> > of updating a box running Stable to run Testing...?
> >
> > Do I just change my sources from stable to testing and do and update
> > followed by an upgrade, or do I do a dist-upgrade...? The reason I ask
> > is that I haven't seen too much info on dist-upgrade and don't really
> > understand how to use it.
> >
> > Any insights into what I should do would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> Hi,
>
> 	In my opinion, you should change your source list from stable
> to testing, and the do an:
> 	> apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> 	You should use dist-upgrade because you are doing and upgrade
> of dist. And an simple upgrade, don't update you to the new distro,
> only updates your packages (I think).
> 	I had dist-upgraded many machine with no problem.

The dist-upgrade is explained in 'man apt-get'. The docs I found
mentioning upgrade to testing and unstable recommend that you *add*
sources for testing
(http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html). Usually
you can just copy the line with 'stable' and just put 'testing' instead.

It is also recommended to use aptitude instead of apt-get: 'aptitude
update' and then 'aptitude dist-upgrade'.

HTH
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)