Qmail and checkpassword

I've been running qmail on testing for some time now (several years
altogether, right at a year on this box.)  Recently, following a reboot, I
stopped downloading mail to Kmail via pop3.  (Kmail runs on my desktop
machine, and qmail is running on my server.)  Some troubleshooting revealed
that checkpassword was complaining about errno.  A bit of time on Google
indicated that I should modify conf-cc to include the errno.h header and
recompile checkpassword.  I did and the errno error went away.  I'm not sure
what caused this to happen.  This was a working system that failed following
a reboot.  I'm assuming that an apt-get update changed something, but I'm not
sure what or when.

After fixing the errno problem, I still can't get my mail.  The following
illustrates the problem:

Luke:/# ps aux | grep checkpassword

root     18699  0.0  0.0    124    40 ?        S    07:24
0:00 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
mail.riddlemaster.org /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
root     18745  0.0  0.0   1944   624 pts/0    R+   07:27   0:00 grep
checkpassword

Luke:/# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
mail.riddlemaster.org /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

+OK <18746.1145878086@mail.riddlemaster.org>
user ddjones
+OK
pass mypass
+OK
quit
+OK

Luke:/# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <18751.1145878104@mail.riddlemaster.org>
user ddjones
+OK
pass mypass
-ERR authorization failed
Connection closed by foreign host.

I changed nothing other than the password in the above capture.  (And  I'm
absolutely certain that he password was correct.)  I cut and pasted the
command being passed to tcpserver directly from the ps  output and I can
successfully login running it from the command line.  Telnetting to
localhost, and I get an auth failure.  This makes no sense to me, and I don't
even know where to start looking for the problem.

I realize it's generally rude to request direct responses, but at the moment
I'm unable to download my mail.  I'll check the list archives via the web but
I'm not sure how long it takes for posts to show up there.  Thus, cc'ing any