From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:18:12 -0500
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian From Scratch 0.99.0

Debian From Scratch (DFS) is a single, full rescue CD capable of
working with all major filesystems, LVM, software RAID, and even
compiling a new kernel.  The DFS ISO images also contain a small
Debian mirror subset that lets you use cdebootstrap, along with the
other utilities on the CD, to perform a manual, "Gentoo-like"
installation.  It also serves as an excellent rescue CD, with a full
compliment of filesystem tools, backup/restore software, and a
development environment complete enough to build your own kernels.

[...]

Debian Live (live cd) project also looks interesting -
http://live.debian.net/wiki/Home

Chris.