Re: Firefox Acroread plugin not working

Chris Lale wrote:

I cannot view PDFs using Firefox in Etch (Testing). I get:

"There was an error while loading the plugin - ewh.api. The plugin failed to initialize."

I have these packages installed:

   acroread 7.0.5-0.0
   mozilla-acroread 7.0.5-0.0

According to http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Acrobat:
   Adobe Reader    Version: 7.0.5

  1. Install Adobe Reader.
2. Create a symbolic link to nppdf.so to your Mozilla plugins directory.
  3. Ensure a copy of acroread is in your PATH.

On my system:
2. /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/pluginsnppdf.so is a symlink to /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so 3. Acroread is in my path since I can launch it from a terminal window with the command 'acroread'.

According to Acroread Help -> About Adobe Plugins, ewh is loaded. There is a note to say that that the Netscape plugin is required for loading (this seems to be the nppdf.so file above).

Any suggestions?
Chris.

After updating Etch sources, mozilla-acroread is no longer installable:

Package mozilla-acroread is not available, but is referred to by another package.
   is only available from another source
   E: Package mozilla-acroread has no installation candidate

According to http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

No maintainer for mozilla-acroread. Please do not report new bugs against this package. There is no record of the mozilla-acroread package, and no bugs have been filed against it.

Perhaps this is the problem? - there is no package maintainer! I,ll wait to see if the package reappears and hope that solves the problem. Otherwise I'll install from Mozilla's tarball at https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Chris.