Re: wine installation help needed

On 4/22/06, Xplicit Language <xplicitlanguage@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i am in need of someone that has installed wine
> before, i also have the choice of using xwine, i have
> synaptic package manager prepared for the newest
> version of wine, also once it is installed, how will i
> install the .exe files?

In my experience you no longer need xwine, as wine
autoconfigures pretty well and if you do need to change
anything, wine has a built-in graphical config tool.

When you install wine, I think it associates wine with
.exe files, so in gnome or kde you just double click
on the .exe. On the command line, type:
  wine someprogram.exe

> i get this error message for almost everything, with
> slight differences on why it is not going to be
> installed... help plz
>
> wine:
>  Depends: libxxf86dga1  but it is not installable

You can try finding that package and setting it by hand
to be installed, instead of letting it be set by the
dependency handler. If that doesn't work you will have
to figure out the specifics of what is causing the problem.

Also, are you running debain stable (sarge) or testing (etch)?

Cheers,
Kelly