Re: Firefox Acroread plugin not working

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

Chris Lale wrote:

<snip>
Jonathan Kaye wrote:

I'm also using Etch 2.6.15-i686. I have nppdf.so in my ~/.mozilla/plugins/
folder. It is not a link but an actual copy. The Acrobat plugin works fine
in Firefox. Why not give that a try.

Replacing the symlink with a copy does not work either:
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins# ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4750331 2006-04-21 09:38 nppdf.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      50 2006-01-28 15:59 nppdf.so.old ->
../../Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

Which version of the mozilla-acroread package are you running?

Hi Chris,
I'm using Adobe Reader 7.0 plugin. Also the plugin lives in my home
directory in the .mozilla/plugins folder
not /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
try typing "about:plugins" (without the quotes)in the firefox navigation bar
and see if it has installed the plugin. If it's seeing it, it should appear
in the list of plugins.

Yes, its there:

Adobe Reader 7.0

   File name: nppdf.so
The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files from within the browser.

MIME Type     Description     Suffixes     Enabled
application/pdf     Portable Document Format     pdf     Yes
application/vnd.fdf     Acrobat Forms Data Format     fdf     Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format xfdf Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml     Acrobat XML Data Package     xdp     Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml     Adobe FormFlow99 Data File     xfd     Yes

Now here's a strange thing. The plugin is provided by the mozilla-acroread package. The package description includes this:

   This package contains the plugin for a www-browser like
   mozilla/firefox/galeon/konqueror

The plugin works fine in konquereor, but not in firefox, mozilla, epiphany or galeon which all have the 'plug-in failed to initialize' error in an Adobe Reader dialogue box. So perhaps the problem lies with mozilla/gecko? I suppose that I could purge and reinstall mozilla, but that seems a bit heavy-handed. The other thing that I might try is installing Adobe Reader from a tarball. I suspect that this is what you did as you do not have the mozilla-acroread package installed. Is that right?

Cheers,
Chris.