Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Friday 21 April 2006 16:31, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Instead of ranting at how Debian sucks for taking the moral high ground,
> > why not rag on developers that take the moral low ground with inferior
> > and proprietary licensing?  Why should Debian play nicely with developers
> > that won't play nice themselves?  Why should Debian accomodate them?
> > Debian's not the one who sucks here...
>
>     Because Debian sucks just as much.  What wins people over?  It
> certainly isn't "Oh, well, that can work if you do this and this and
> this..."  Know what most do "Ok, fine, hi Bill, here's another $300 for the
> pro edition this 3 years.  See you in 3 more."

Maybe on a planet where there are no people to make intelligent IT decisions.
In the real world, organizations are looking to move away from Windows but
are stuck by some obscure proprietary NT-only industry-specific program.  If
this isn't reality, then I guess the last five companies I worked for are
unique.

>     Ultimatism and zealotry on both sides are just as bad.  "You can't use
> this because we say you can't."  "You can't use this because we say its
> BAAAAAD."  What-ever.

Nobody's saying you can't go get your proprietary software from the
appropriate sources.  Nobody is telling you otherwise.  Debian just isn't the
appropriate source.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber